Wees Historic District
2 Randolph Avenue, Elkins, WV 26241
The Randolph County Courthouse and Jail were built in 1902 and 1904. They were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. The two buildings are constructed of brick and faced with stone with contrasting smooth and textured stone trim. The courthouse features a rounded arch entrance in the Romanesque style. The jail features a massive conical-roofed corner tower. Today, both buildings are still utilized.
Both the Randolph County Courthouse and Jail are located in the Wees Historic District. This district encompasses 282 contributing buildings, 1 contributing site, and 1 contributing object. Includes a variety of domestic dependencies, several historic churches, like the Davis Memorial Presbyterian, the 7.9 acre City Park, and a bronze equestrian statue of Henry Gassaway Davis called the Iron Horse.
Davis Memorial Presbyterian Church was originally built in 1894 and 1895 after designs were prepared by the Baltimore architect Charles E. Cassell.
The Iron Horse Statue was erected in 1927 with an identical twin in Davis Park in downtown Charleston, WV. This is a larger-than-life-size bronze equestrian statue of Elkins benefactor, Sen. Henry Gassaway Davis mounted on a horse.